Williamsburg: Work and Play

23 11 2014

I got to spend the latter part of last week on a work trip to my hometown of Williamsburg. Even though I’m still on maternity leave, I really wanted to attend this conference, which was held at the Lodge. My work paid for lodging and meals, which I was excited about because we rarely go out to eat, especially now with our two boys!

On Thursday, my whole family was up at 4 AM to drive to the conference. When we arrived, my husband took our toddler fireplace shopping and to the outlets while I carried my 8-week-old to my morning sessions. I met up with my friend, and we went to some of our sessions together.



This easily could have been my little brother and me on the cover of the convention program – I worked at Colonial Williamsburg from age 10-18, and we often played games with visitors on Palace Green like this one, “trundling the hoop.”

Lunch was on our own, so my husband picked up Cheese Shop for us. It’s my favorite food – I ALWAYS order roastbeefandcheddaronfrenchwithhouse. By then, our room was ready, so I used the lunch break to get the baby fed and settled into a nap before returning to the conference sans baby.


At the end of the day, my husband and I headed out to stroll around New Town and had planned to dine at Carrabbas. Once we arrived, though, we could tell that our kids would not do well in the restaurant. Our 2-year-old had fallen asleep in the car and our newborn was antsy. We noticed some designated “carry-out” parking spaces and decided to go that route. We enjoyed our dinner back in the privacy of our hotel room!

IMG_9820 IMG_9821

Dinner on the colonial draughts table (you thought it was chess/checkers, didn’t you?)

With our routine thrown off, the kids were up ALL night, which made for an interesting conference day on Friday.

IMG_9831 IMG_9826

Once again, I carried the baby to all my morning sessions – he slept the whole time.



The conference sessions I attended were interesting – topics ranging anywhere from Disney to infertility, and honestly you wouldn’t believe me if I told you about the Disney one.


We went to CookOut for lunch – holy fast food that place was yummy and CHEAP! Sooo good!


The conference was literally across the street from where I used to work at Colonial Williamsburg, at the James Geddy House. I picked up a Christmas gift at Market Square there before returning to the conference.


Later that afternoon, we met my mom at the outlets. I used to work at the J.Crew outlet during my college summers, but they have added so many new outlets since then! First stop, Hanna Andersson. All their organic cotton PJs were $15 (normally $38-$42), and there were so many other sales throughout the store. I am so obsessed with their children’s PJs and even bought some matchy-matchy ones for the boys. They will be wearing some of these to meet Santa and at our upcoming gingerbread-house party.


Later, we scored some good deals on toddler Crocs, and I picked up a bridal shower gift for my soon-to-be sister-in-law.



We spent Friday night at my parents’ house. We had planned to go out (we haven’t since the baby was born!), but my mom made an amazing dinner and invited my little brother over, so we picked up our Olive Garden to-go with my meal allocation from work (I ordered online and got a discount), which we saved for lunch the next day. (Olive Garden reheated: not so great.)


That night, we also realized that we had forgotten our son’s baby blanket and beloved Mickey Mouse back in our hotel room, which we had checked out of that morning. Ugh! I did not sleep a wink that night, I was so upset (and because of the Olive Garden coffee and tiramisu I had indulged in way too late after the boys went to bed). I left a message with housekeeping and spent the night praying that someone would find his precious “accoutrements,” as he calls them. First thing Saturday morning, I called the hotel again and spoke directly to the housekeeping manager, who had E’s Mickey and blanket on his desk! Praise God! We rushed straight over, and my boy and his pal were soon reunited.


11-23-14 Reunited

Back at my parents’, we had our first playdate with my new nephew, who was born just 3 days before S! I was so happy to finally meet him (the boys are both 8 weeks old now!), and we got to catch up with my sister-in-law for the morning. That afternoon, I returned to the conference to attend another session. I recharged with a Snickerdoodle Cookie Latte at Dunkin Donuts and ran some errands sans-babies before heading back to my parents’ to pack up.

On our way out of town, my husband surprised me with one last stop at the outlets, asking if I wanted to shop for clothes while he waited in the car with our (napping) boys. I went into Gap and tried on about 20 pairs of jeans, which would have taken a whole day if the boys had been with me. I fell in love with 2 pairs of skinnies, added a sweater, and then we returned to CookOut for another delicious dinner-to-go before our 3-hour-drive home.

I’m already planning our return trip in a couple weeks! Traveling is SO different now with little ones!



One response

5 12 2014
Five on Friday | Running MOMentum

[…] snow of the season – about 5 inches. Thank goodness we had just bought snow boots on our trip to Williamsburg! E was much more ready to play in this snow than last winter – he begged to be out in it all […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: